Rigging up a Storm

by Vermont Rice

Project riggers Carrie Glessner and Will Young have been here the last couple days making up the standing rigging. It’s quite the process, splicing rope and wire, whipping ends, and “serving” cable by wrapping it tightly with a combination of rags, twine, and pine tar. Much of the area underneath the pole barn where the work is taking place seems to be covered with pine tar, including the table with various snacks on it, and some of the snacks themselves. These guys are pretty serious and unfazed by a little surplus tar here and there.

Earlier on I mentioned the cordage would be hemp. My mistake. It’s manilla. Carrie and Will have very good judgement in matters rigging related and I tend to defer to their material choices. It’s funny, a visitor to the project questioned whether it was still possible to find riggers in the world today, saying such people no longer exist. But the disproof was just 20 feet from where we were having the conversation. Here they are! They exist!

I have been working with Jordan (Finkelstein) making up the mainmast the last few days. We started with a huge fir log so heavy two of us teamed up could not manage one end of it. We have cut down the original weight quite a lot but it is still a heavy piece, with a big square base that will fit into the tabernacle, or mast hinge. Yesterday I fitted the “hounds” which are pieces of wood that bridge the connection between the mainmast and the topmast. Combined the mainmast and topmast have a height of about 36 feet.

Ceres herself is sitting off to one side largely ignored for the moment. But since rolling her a week and a half ago we have installed decks and some of the cabin furniture, and are also well underway painting the belowdecks spaces. The deckhouses are in process too, so now it requires less imagination to imagine the finished product than it was a month or two ago. The decks have large cargo hatches, which will be sturdy enough to walk on when closed up. One priority is to have room to set up a big trestle table on deck for meals, and we can only do this with a structural, low-profile hatch. Most of the main deck is taken up by hatches.

Lots of pictures are soon to come, but I wanted to post a quick update first and add pictures later. At the rate we are progressing now it is not too hard to imagine that in 30 days or so there will not be much left to do. So, now I am off to go fetch some items of metalwork from Champlain Metals in Burlington. More soon!

For the time being, here is a graphic that we will be using for shirts. With the boat inked in white and the logo in black we can DIY print any color shirt except a white one or a black or very dark one. I hope to make these shirts available soon! shirt logo image